This is the other camera I built for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day this spring.
It's evil, not just because of the dimensions, but because of the plethora of little issues. There's a stereotype of the pinhole camera maker that says they view every container they encounter as a potential camera, and I've obviously yielded to that periodically, but I have to say, it's a lot easier and more reliable to make your camera from scratch so you can design purely for function and not be limited by the measurements and other characteristics of a ready made box.
|Wayne, captured with the |
Glenmorangie Evil Cube
I had been meaning to build a Hasselblad sized 6x6x6 cubical camera for a while anyway, so this was a good excuse, and I like to do something special for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day.
A piece of foam core is glued into all four sides. Note how the shutters are under the foam core so it blocks any light coming through that slot.
The pinhole is mounted in between the foam core and the front shutter. I wanted to get it as far forward as I could so I could cut the smallest hole possible in the front and I could make the hole in the foam core layer as big as I wanted, but I also wanted to put it behind the shutter.
The pinhole is .32mm and hand drilled, by the way, the first time in a long time I've done that.
The shutter in the back is only as tall as necessary and when the foam core was glued in front of it, that leaves a gap for the flap of the top of the box to insert into.
One problem is that between the width of the box and the angles necessary for the 6x6 frame and the film reels in the front, that leaves a very narrow slot for the image to go through, and since the pinhole was permanently mounted between the shutter and the foam core, I couldn't make sure it was perfectly aligned with this narrow slot. So I cut an opening in the dividers. Originally it was an oval but in the first role of negatives it blocked part of the image, so for the second role, I squared it off. In what has to be my top duh! moment in camera building, It didn't occur to me that now the image could get behind the dividers and expose the film as it wrapped up and back the sides of the camera, so I got an overlap of an image on each side of every frame. This was not some sort of creative multi image process like a Blender. It was just awful.
I also inserted these cut off nail heads (from a collection left by the former owner of my house over thirty years ago) through the bottom of the film carrier to keep the reels parallel.
The winders are 3/8" dowels with the end whittled to insert into a 120 reel with a collar from beverage can aluminum to light proof the holes and with the top of the box closed over them they keep the winders from falling out.
Film advance is a two step affair – first loosening the supply reel a little and then tightening the take-up reel. It takes about four of those cycles to advance a frame.
It is a pleasure to use in the field. Those beads make it really easy to determine the limits of the image pretty accurately and the film advance, though a little tedious, is smooth and reliable, but then pinhole is a slow process in any event.
On Pinhole day, I really took a lot of shots that were either close ups fatally blurred by the wind, or just plain boring. Here's the image I submitted to the WPPD gallery.
It also still has a light leak. In most of the images it's faint and easily burned through. I think it only happens when sitting in the west kitchen window for long periods, but I'm not sure. This scan is rotated to appear as though you were looking through the pinhole toward the back of the camera, so it's probably related to that slot the film counter shutter goes through, but with all that foam core, I'm not sure how.
On Monster Garage, Jesse used to theatrically destroy the creations that didn't work out. I don't think I'll go that far, but I think I might be making an evil cube from scratch so I don't have to be constrained by the dimensions or preserving the design printed on the outside.