Thursday, April 21, 2016

Workshop test

I get to do a workshop for public school teachers this summer.  Most of the workshops I've done were with elementary and middle school kids.  I've done two with adults.  One was part of a graduate course and a few of the students who were high school science teachers were really mad because I hadn't been told to assign them a grade and I didn't have any criterion for doing that.  The other was a "Faculty College" that was offered during off-semester times for general professional and sometimes just personal development of the faculty and staff.  The group that day was small and really into it, but the weather was extremely dark overcast and rain - over 10 minute exposures.  They got in a few shots anyway. (Later edit: I forgot about two sections of Art Education Students I worked with)

The one this summer is part of a program called Arts Core that emphasizes integration of art objectives anywhere in the curriculum so the teachers could be from K-12 and in any discipline. Should be interesting. I've got a four hour block in the middle of a three day event, which is actually the beginning of a year long experience that includes two more sessions in the fall and spring. They want to include "storytelling" in the workshop.  I can dig that.

The last workshop of any kind I did was in 2006.

Yesterday, I went over to the Art Department darkroom at the University we'll be using  (the last one on campus) which I hadn't seen for ten years. It turned out to be much as I remembered it.  I also had a 10 year old box of about 80 sheets of paper that I wanted to find out if it was fogged or not.  Turned out OK - I couldn't tell the difference between a sheet I developed and one I threw directly into the fixer.

So I made a few test exposures with my old f130 two and a half inch foamcore camera, again, something I haven't done for ten years.

It was a bright sunny day.  I started with a 20 second exposure. I didn't measure it with anything and I just counted so it might have been a little long.



A little overexposed, so I cut the second back to 12 seconds.



Still a little denser than I would like, but that curve in the upper left had corner is kind fun.

When I reloaded and came out for the next one, a bit of haze had come over the sun, so I did 9 seconds.


Just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment