Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Experimenting at U Club

I may have mentioned that lately I've been enamored of some of the more dynamic aspects of pinhole photography. It turns out, just about every time I take pictures at U Club, it's of this "experimental" nature of just letting subject and camera movement do it's thing and see what happens.

I'm not sure what possessed me to stick the camera on the bar (on its desktop tripod, so it's not exactly incognito). During most of the exposure I had to explain what I was doing to the bartender esteemed mixologist, a retired biologist, there on the right, who wondered if it was on automatic.


Just in case you were wondering how this differs from what I've been doing lately, it was a slightly coldish may day, so no one but myself and an architect (married to a theater director) toughed the patio out, and talked how I got into pinhole (he asked), while I did this architectural study of the patio door.


Meanwhile, on the inside, it was time for the annual business meeting.  All the officers and board members were willing to serve another year, so no elections!  This was at least a five minute exposure and the guy with white stripey shirt moved in front of the camera only during the last minute or so spilling his photons all over my composition.


Since the camera was already sitting on the bar, when this faculty member (I can't remember who this was-it could be one of two or three people.) seemed quite engaged in the conversation right in front of it, so I opened the shutter to see how long he would hold still (not very long, it's a very thin negative).


All with the Populist. .15mm pinhole 24mm from 24x36mm frame.

1 comment:

  1. These are very interesting photographs that you have taken. They way you manage to get them to look so eerie at times is truly amazing. How long have you been doing this for? I have never even heard of pinhole photography before now. Hopefully, you can post some more of these photos as time allows.

    Franklin Stewart @ Muller Exteriors

    ReplyDelete