Saturday, June 1, 2024

Expired Portra 800 in The Silver Dragon

Since it was associated with three microbreweries, hanging around in bars seemed likely to be part of Photo Opp's photowalk in Appleton a few weeks ago. That calls for fast film and a fast camera.

When Lomography dropped the prices of their 120 films last year, I got some of the 800 color film. It got used for the walk in Appleton last fall and it's impressive how short exposures can be in less than ideal light. Everybody was out of stock when I ran out. B&H was offering Portra 800, normally twice the price of the Lomo, expired six months ago, for only half again as much as the Lomo. I needed the fast film and went for it.

A camera made from beer packaging seemed appropriate. The f130, 90 degree angle of view, Silver Dragon got the job.

Turns out most of the hanging out was on sidewalks, patios and decks. Just before we took off, I went for the interior of the Appleton Brewing Company. Operator error on the shutter so this is only about half the negative.



My plan was to save the fast film for interiors, but this public bicycle repair station colored to match the abstract wall, with its little teammate the tire pump, demanded color film.



The serving bar of the Stone Arch Brewery is in a grotto under the building.


After the mile walk with its intense photography, the Honey Wheat Ale was quite refreshing. One interesting feature of almost any photography gathering is the variety of cameras used. I was the only film user at the table. Lisa had "only" brought her iPhone (with its extraordinary camera, I should add). The gentleman across the table had a full frame Canon EOS R5, which momentarily made me wistful about my FD 20mm f2.8, and next to him a Sony A something and a DSLR, both with massive zoom lenses.



As things were winding down at McFleshman's Brewery, watching Billy Hintz fail to take this picture of Brandi Grahl and Almon Benton because the flash cube wouldn't go off, I stepped in to cover it. Despite the waning light, the exposure measured only 14 seconds. I just counted aloud "1,2,3...." instead of my usual silent "one thousand and." Almon counted as well and said the exposure was only half as long as it should have been. He was right. It's underexposed.



The camera sat there for weeks looking for a need for very fast film. On a sunny morning, I finally gave up and went out on my bicycle. Maybe there would be something in the shade.

Let's just see what happens with a sunny exposure measuring a third of second, at least two stops overexposed by my poor human hand. The lighter patch of grass is the former site of the dilapidated and unused-for-years beach house. Modern color film is amazing, but when you think of it, every ASA 400 picture ever done in the sun with most Instamatics was at least as overexposed.



The sunbeams on the tablecloths in the City Center Atrium were visible from the courtyard but no way could the reflections be controlled. I was surprised to go around to the normal entrance and be able to get in. Three people preceded me down the hallway who turned out to be there to break the place down. They're removing table cloths during the exposure.



At the side with some of the hip event-space lighting on.



I had to go back later to Menomonee Park to take a picture of the Wienermobile on Opening Day at the Zoo. It was a pretty big deal since one of the current HotDoggers is a recent graduate of UW Oshkosh. This is one of those images where the angle of view is really surprising. I could have easily touched it from behind the tripod. Although I could accurately frame with the viewfinders, there's no way you can really previsualize this.



The little circular puddle and squishy lawn reflecting the sky and the leafy trunk merited adding this tree to the collection.



A scene of most common occurence. Maybe the clouds got my attention. I didn't even notice the sky reflecting off the upper windows of the Bank Building. Short enough exposure to capture the fountain and the baby carriage, but long enough to lose the SUV turning off Main onto Algoma.



The rain knocked over this Iris, which survived so it could hold still near the ground for my exposure.


The Silver Dragon has two hand-drilled pinholes, one on the axis, and one 11mm above it, 30mm from a 6x6cm frame. The Portra 800 was the 8th roll developed in a Cinestill Quart C41 kit. I have to mention these were the flattest dried color negatives I've had since starting to do this at home. Maybe that's why it costs so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment