Friday, October 20, 2023

Hic sunt dracones.


The only Compact 30 I had left after giving one away and long-term loaning another was the Diversity 30. It's a perfectly working camera, but it looks a little rough after the on-the-fly modifications to correct for an error with the template. I wanted one that's a bit of a show piece. One of those earlier cameras was made from a four-can carton of Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout. Since then they've redesigned the carton to be a little more low contrast with the dragon now a silvery grey instead of brilliant white.



For the on-axis and rising pinholes I hand-drilled .23mm and .24 holes. Close enough match. It took me three tries. Those edges might look a little rough but look at the pictures below before you make any judgements.

Gloomy weather was predicted so I loaded it with Kentmere 400 which I've only used once before. Although at f130, this is one of my fastest cameras.


Fast film is good for interiors. As I loaded the film, the jar of Arborio rice was sitting next to the stove. Would individual grains of rice be resolved with all that glass refracting them?
 


The last tomatoes and peppers that had ripened in the garden.



A volunteer vine from the compost grew down the garden path and produced this bicolored little gourd.



The back lighting on the porch made highlights on the edges of everything inside. I've never noticed this before, but when I restored the screens in 2015, I got the middle rail on the right a quarter inch higher than the rest.



Blogger downsamples these a little. The screens in front of the table at the left are resolved on my original 4000 pixel wide file viewed at 200%. Here's what that looks like. The rough edged holes aren't too bad. The hole is also already foreshortened into an oval this far off the axis. There's examples of this all over the negative. By the way, where's the grain in this ISO 400 film? (I think if you do a Save-image-as, you can look at the full resolution file.)



The restored front porch is still pretty exciting.



This extremely long clapboard-sided self-storage unit has been featured here before for it's panoramic format and it's peeling paint. It has also been recently restored with slightly glossy vinyl siding.



Behind Oshkosh Heating and Cooling. With the relatively fast camera and fast film, Pinhole Assist read an eighth of a second in the sunlight and a quarter of a second in the shade. My poor hand exposure was probably about 4 times longer than that, even with card waving, but the semi-stand developing handles the overexposure with ease.



A bin nearby is full of shiny remnants of their work.



The multilevel outside seating at Green's Pour House, located in the vintage granary. It's always surprising how wide angle 90° is. This is on a normal width sidewalk and there's still room for me to stand behind the tripod.



The window display at Salon la Rousse. Since Joe Van Cleave gave us all such a treat for the recent annular eclipse, I thought I'd return the favor with a nice looking antique typewriter in a purely decorative arrangement.






I always thought this structure between the sidewalk and the Public Safety Building was some kind of monument, but there's just a plain steel plate on top of it.


The Kentmere 400 was semistand developed in Rodinal 1:100.










No comments:

Post a Comment