In the past, I mostly used ISO 100 film, mainly because at ISO 400, I was afraid of sunny-day exposures faster than my poor human hands could manage, leading to overwhelmingly dense negatives. After choosing the faster films in workshops to allow interiors and gloomy-day exposures, I've become less concerned, and kind of seduced by the shorter exposures. My use of semi-stand development, which suppresses overexposed highlights, probably has something to do with it. I recently read a blog post that claimed you could measure with any ISO you wanted with semi-stand development and get a usable negative.
I found a roll of Kentmere 100 in a bag, left over from those days of slower film, which wasn't getting any younger. It went into the Diversity 30, which had some adjustments made after its last outing that need checking. Summer sunshine was a reliable bet with the slow film.
The camera sat on the tripod under the kitchen table for a while. After our new dishwasher was installed, I turned it in that direction and made an exposure. Yes, I know if you hang a towel on the dishwasher handle, it will drag on the floor every time the door is opened.

Illustrated here are two reasons why I haven't done a blog post in a month. The recent translation of the Odyssey, which I've discovered I only knew from a young adult adaptation, and one of a new series of books by some guy on the internet who's in an IRL gallery show in a couple of months.

After an excavator crew removed the asphalt, swinging the machine within inches of the magnolia and driving over its roots, one lone, very precise workman came and built the forms. After another near-miss with an excavator for the gravel layer, a large crew arrived and poured the walk, finally respecting our request to stay away from the tree.










No comments:
Post a Comment