Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Manic Expression on the road

Ready for some rollin’ pinholin’? I set off the next morning on my bike to continue my therapy.

I only got as far as Merrill School. This little tree on the playground that didn’t make it through the winter seemed to be an appropriate metaphor for the year.


Here’s a treat for double exposure fans. It’s rare that I do it, and even rarer when I admit to it. First Presbyterian over the Raulf Hotel.


A nice little illustration for a travel poster. I’d been trying to get a cloud reflected in these windows for a while.


The back of an elaborate Italianate fire station by ubiquitous Oshkosh architect William Waters.


The back entrance to The Brooklyn, recently closed for good. The last vestige of the original name of the district.


The camera had been mounted on the little Joby tripod attached to handlebars of my bike. For the next scene, I decided to use the full-size tripod. Trying to unscrew the Joby, I pulled the nut right out of the bottom of the camera. For the next two pictures the camera was just balanced on the top of the tripod without being attached.

The great white almost-windowless hulk of the north wall of the Miles Kimball building.


The back wall of the Miles Kimball building.


Ardy and Ed’s drive-in, which employs roller skating wait staff.  Hand held against my handlebars.


The brilliant white Wonder Bread bakery, recently ceasing operation lately as well. Also held against the handlebars.


Did you ever wonder where those military vehicles that showed up in your town last month came from? They’re made by Oshkosh Corp. At least 10 very large parking lots next to factories all over the city are full of them. Several large vacant properties around town are occupied by hundreds of them.


Known locally simply as “Truck,” this is their main plant. The world headquarters used to be here, but they threatened to leave and the city sold them half a golf course to build a new one.


Those two photographs were done with the camera held against a light post.

South Park Middle School, held against a tree.



A little further forward, with the camera on the shadowed table in the right foreground above.



These were all very short exposures. In order to keep from moving the camera during what would be a significant portion of the exposure, I held my finger against the shutter, opened it and then made the exposure by moving my finger away from the pinhole. I think I did this one with the camera held against my forehead.


And then I ran out of film.  It had taken me just over 24 hours to finish the roll. Toward the end I ruined a few frames and advanced farther than I should have a few times.

I feel much better now, but I still have the need, ya know? I have more film.

No comments:

Post a Comment